lead poisoning at home

Preventing Lead Poisoning at Home

Lead is a highly toxic metal and exposure can result in a wide range of debilitating effects that include neural, physical and behavioral problems, sometimes even resulting in death. The most common source of lead is lead-based paint, mostly associated with old homes. However you can also get lead poisoning from other items you bring in to your home. Here are a few tips to prevent lead poisoning at home.
• Be careful when buying imported toys, they are often painted with lead-based paint or made with lead-laced plastics.
• Only use non-toxic art supplies for children. Some art supplies can have lead content, specially imported paints and crayons.
• Avoid vintage painted furniture, toys, plates, kitchen items, vintage cards and décor. If you are a collector, practice lead-safety and handle those using gloves and protective gear.
• Do not use vintage plates, imported painted pottery and dishes for serving food. They are the number one source of lead in the kitchen.
While the government is doing what it can to filter these lead-laced products it is still important to be vigilant and selective when buying items for your home. You can use a lead-test kit on certain items that you suspect might contain lead however these tests can only tell you the presence of lead and not the levels. To accurately determine all lead-sources in your home, call us at (951) 582-9071 or visit http://aaalead.com and we can guide you in keeping your home lead-free.

Leave a Reply